Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Sodi, Tholene Poopedi, Molepo Hope 2013-05-10T08:25:16Z 2013-05-10T08:25:16Z 2012
dc.description Thesis (M.A. (Clinical Psychology) -- University of Limpopo, 2012 en_US
dc.description.abstract The aim of this study was to profile the characteristics of children with mental retardation presenting at the Clinical Psychology Unit of Polokwane/Mankweng Hospital Complex over a period of five years. A descriptive methodological approach was chosen as a study design for the purpose of data collection and subsequent data analysis. Using the archival data method, the clinical files of all children presenting with mental retardation at this facility were retrieved and studied. A total of 326 (male = 169; female = 157) files covering the period under review were retrieved. The Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) was used to analyse the data. Categorical data were analysed by using frequency tables, descriptive statistics and crosstabulations. The study showed that 314 cases (96.3%) were reflected as Black, whilst the remaining 12 cases (3.7%) were reflected as White (2.15%); Indian (1.23%); and Other (0.30%). Several clinical methods that included clinical interviews, psychometric tests, clinical observations and collateral information sources were used by the psychologists for the purpose of making a diagnosis. The study further revealed that a huge number of cases (35.6%) were diagnosed with mental retardation. It was also found that 45.4% of the cases were diagnosed to have comorbid clinical conditions such as epilepsy, Down’s syndrome, visual problems etc. The majority of the persons were referred to the Clinical Psychology Unit to be assessed for school placement (50%) and disability grant (38.7%).With regard to interventions, psychologists who saw these persons tended to frequently refer them to special schools and other health professionals. Psychotherapy was the least utilised intervention method used by the psychologists. The findings of the present study reinforce the importance of and value of high quality management and treatment of mental retardation and related comorbid conditions. Based on these findings, it is recommended that more efforts be made to strengthen the working relationship between Polokwane/Mankweng Hospital Complex and the respective special schools where these persons that are diagnosed with mental retardation are referred to. It is further recommended that consideration be given to strengthening the relationship between Polokwane/Mankweng Hospital Complex and the social security agency so as to obviate any potential problems that could be associated with the allocation of the disability grants to persons with mental retardation. en_US
dc.format.extent 63 leaves., map en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher University of Limpopo (Turfloop Campus) en_US
dc.relation.requires pdf en_US
dc.subject Mental retardation en_US
dc.subject.ddc 362.30968 en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Mental retardation en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Psychology, pathological en_US
dc.title Characteristics of persons with mental retardation presenting at Polokwane / Makweng Hospital Complex : An Archival Study en_US
dc.type Thesis en_US

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search ULSpace


My Account